'The Teaching of the Hands' overwrites colonial cartographies and extractivist economies with the cosmological consciousness of indigenous people and the history of their suppression. Observational landscape views, archival footage, ancient imagery, and environmental wounds caused by infrastructural development are punctuated by re-enactments of gestures of colonial occupation. These visually compelling sequences are oriented by a narrative voiceover solely entrusted to Juan Mancias, Chairman of the Carrizo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas. Wielding ownership over the storyline, Mancias brings forth the perspective of indigenous people and asserts how the cosmological value of tribal epistemologies is based on a profound relationship to the environment and knowledge of the elements. The film powerfully denounces the desecration of the land and the continuous struggle of the indigenous people against ongoing forms of erasure and exploitation.
- - -
A Film With Juan Mancias ~ Esto'k Gna Carrizo Comecrudo Tribe Of Texas,
and Vicente Celis, Jonah Emerson-bell, Walt Senterfit, Westin Huffman, Christopher Gonzales, Terry Ashcraft, Rachel Barrett, Nicolas Bustillos, Jerram Rojo, Molly Barker, Christina Pryor, and Una Santiago-Caycedo.
Directed by Carolina Caycedo & David de Rozas
Director of Photography and Editor: David De Rozas
Live Sound: Carolina Caycedo
Production Assistant: Gabriela Carballo
Assistant Directors: Una Santiago-Caycedo
Sound Design and Sound Mix: Juan Carlos Blancas
Colorist: Marco Amaral (The Yellow Color)
Film Transfer: Frame Discreet and Fotokem
Produced by Ballroom Marfa, Via Art Foundation, and The National Endowment For The Arts
Co-produced by The Philip And Muriel Berman Foundation and Kevin Sherman.
Generous Support by The City Of Marfa, Texas Commission On The Arts, and The Ballroom Marfa International Surf Club
- Projects: Carolina Caycedo and David de Rozas, NY MoMA, New York, NY, 2022
- 'Back to Earth: Scorching Suns, Rising Seas', The Albany and Serpentine Pavilion, London, UK, 2022
- Ballroom Marfa, Marfa, TX, 2022
- NTU Centre for Contemporary Art, Singapore, 2022
- Rubin Center for the Visual Arts. The University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, 2022
- Indigenous People for the Restoration of Land And Water. Ysleta del Sur Pueblo. El Paso, TX, 2022
- Visual Arts Center. The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 2022